How much Roman Italian DNA do Iberians have?

jMyjhqo.jpeg

I saw a video titled "Spain, Portugal have Roman Italian ancestry" and in the video the guy believes we have upwards of 30-40% Roman DNA. His theory is based off of the closeness to a north italian cline on g25 plots, and that our roman is from north italia. But I do not agree. This seems to just be an algorithm overfitting because north italians are already close to Portuguese and Spanish in ancient admixture. Instead, I believe our Roman is imperial era (southern-central italian-like) it would explain why our cline jumps from basque-like to more southern and closer to north italian.

Anyone have any idea of how much of this roman admixture we have?
Ancient G25 samples in 2 way mixing mode. The Italians displayed to me were labeled by Eurogenes as outlier Central Europeans (R63 and R1289 - Antonio et all's paper). In modern G25 they are more similar to Iberian pops.
rsi0RfU.png

1bIxdGY.png

Last edited:
Etruscans (originally from Anatolia)?
OMG. I hadn't seen this nonsense. The Etruscans are a so Italic people as the Latins.
Etruscan and Latins are similar genetically though Etruscan was not an Italic language (nor even Indo-European for that matter).

There's something wrong with these calculators, Illyrians weren't so numerous that even Spanish ancestry would be mostly Illyrian. I think they are mixing up Illyrian with maybe previous Bell Beaker or Tumulus samples. Illyrians match closest with Albanians and North Italians

MyTrueAncestry is a joke. That such high percentages of Illyrians come out even to the Spanish and Portuguese shows that these are only apparent similarities (and this applies to the Italians as well).

Etruscans (originally from Anatolia)?
OMG. I hadn't seen this nonsense. The Etruscans are a so Italic people as the Latins.

MyTrueAncestry is a true joke. The owner is a Dane (with no specific expertise in this field) who is only interested in making money. You are throwing money away with MTA.

MyTrueAncestry is a true joke. The owner is a Dane (with no specific expertise in this field) who is only interested in making money. You are throwing money away with MTA.
Ilyrians probably overlapping with north italy and iberia , they need to fix it and put ancient iberian samples

Ilyrians probably overlapping with north italy and iberia , they need to fix it and put ancient iberian samples

Yes, It is an overlap more with modern than ancient populations. Of course there were indeed migratory movements toward the end of the Bronze Age from the northern Balkans westward, but they were not "Illyrians" in the strict sense, and they did not have the impact that MTA seems to suggest. The tools that MTA uses to calculate the ethnicity estimate are extremely amateurish.

Yes, It is an overlap more with modern than ancient populations. Of course there were indeed migratory movements toward the end of the Bronze Age from the northern Balkans westward, but they were not "Illyrians" in the strict sense, and they did not have the impact that MTA seems to suggest. The tools that MTA uses to calculate the ethnicity estimate are extremely amateurish.
I think that a lot of the similarity is due to iron age La Tene/celtic espansion into balkan, instead.

I think that a lot of the similarity is due to iron age La Tene/celtic espansion into balkan, instead.

Yes, there is also this, supportable by material culture as well. But it depends on chronology and uniparental markers. J2b in the Balkans, and more recently in Italy and even in the Celtic world, is unlikely to be due to a La Tene expansion into the Balkans, not least because La Tene is dated second Iron Age (c. 450 BC - c. 50 BC), the earliest movements from the northern Balkans westward, are likely much earlier, late Bronze Age (and in the Balkans they may have come from the Pannonian-Carpathian basin).

what does "they where not illyrians in the strict sense" even mean ???...............where they Japodes, Histrians, Liburnians, Dalmatians, Pannonians , which ones................you comment if very targeted that Illyrians have no "mixing" with adriatic Italians.......what is your agenda ?

There is a new I2 ydna , 17000 years ago found in Grotta delle Mura , Apulia recently ...................maybe we have more nonsense about I2 ydna found in the adriatic area

There is far too much nationalistic propaganda in the adriatic sea ancient haplogroups found there...........and its creeping into this forum

what does "they where not illyrians in the strict sense" even mean ???...............where they Japodes, Histrians, Liburnians, Dalmatians, Pannonians , which ones................you comment if very targeted that Illyrians have no "mixing" with adriatic Italians.......what is your agenda ?

They were cetina or bell beaker

There is a new I2 ydna , 17000 years ago found in Grotta delle Mura , Apulia recently ...................maybe we have more nonsense about I2 ydna found in the adriatic area

There is far too much nationalistic propaganda in the adriatic sea ancient haplogroups found there...........and its creeping into this forum

?? I don't understand, i2 was everywhere in Europe 17,000 years ago

As usual, you have not understood anything that is being discussed.

This thread has been viewed 14211 times.

Back