Question Are Humans Who Incorporate AI into Their Lives "Proto-Cyborgs"?

Jovialis

Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
I have used ChatGPT extensively over the past couple of years, and it has been a significant component in successfully facilitating many of my pursuits. For example, I have learned how various tools like qpAdm work, as well as other esoteric academic tools, which have greatly expanded the depth of my research in ancient DNA. Additionally, I have utilized it to successfully undergo body recomposition, reducing my fat percentage and increasing my muscle mass while losing 25 pounds. Artificial intelligence has been an indispensable tool in achieving my fitness goals, guiding me through the process properly.

Eventually, I crafted a strength training regimen of four days a week targeting specific muscle groups with different weight sets, in addition to a cardio day. I have used AI to formulate a calorie deficit range to moderate my food portions and choices. It has also helped me determine the calories, protein, fiber, fat, carbs, and other nutrients in my meals. I even use the camera, with an object for scale, to estimate ballpark figures for dishes and food without nutritional facts.

For work, it has been absolutely amazing in helping me eliminate tedious tasks and maximize productivity. Soon, I will be giving seminars on how to utilize AI for productivity at my workplace.

Once, I saw a profile on X with an interesting banner that read something like, "AI will not replace humans, but humans with AI will replace humans without it."

Frankly, I find that using AI for personal growth has been transformative. Seeing physical changes and intellectual enrichment, I wonder if people who use it for this purpose could one day be considered "proto-cyborgs".

Given your utilisation of "AI", it sounds like a glorified version of Excel or PowerPoint to me. Not to sound like a broken record but what is marketed (the emphasis should be on just that: marketed) as artificial intelligence just isn't. It's computer code or software written by humans. ChatGPT, GPT-4 and whatever they're called, are useful tools for text compilations, drawing from many different sources within a relatively short period of time and thus performing that task faster than any human could. It is convenient and faster than a human just like a pocket calculator is but the latter hardly qualifies as (artificial) intelligence, even though it can solve a complex equation within a second. If a software or any other device is doing most of the "thinking" for you, you're doing something wrong. You can never let your intellectual guard down and you shouldn't for the sake of your own mental faculties.

I hope you don't mind me being blunt with you. It's a well-meaning honesty I would express toward a friend. Like so many people, and I'm not an exception, you lack discipline and opt for convenience which always comes at the expense of your skills. I have lost almost 88 pounds between summer 2021 and spring 2022. All I did is change my diet by following a strict psychological discipline. I didn't do much sports except go on walks and ride my bicycle. I'm doing sports now, just basic jogging and gymnastics to keep in shape, not to become a bodybuilder. While we're at it, I have noticed that many people hit the gym, not because they're disciplined, but the opposite it the case. They need mental motivation and a platform for self-exhibition which begs the question whether they do it for themselves or to show off on social media. Ten years ago, I went through a similar phase of self-disciplining when I quit smoking. I simply threw my last pack of smokes away. There were no "I'm gonna smoke just 2 cigarettes per day" periods. Took me about three months to overcome the aggressions that arose from going cold turkey but I never touched a cigarette again. Maybe it's easier for people like me because I tend to be persistent and stubborn when I get something into my head.

On the other hand, I absolutely believe that these "AI" programs make your worklife easier and can't see anything wrong with that as long as you remain the brain in the room. But proto-cyborgs? Nope. You might as well say that anyone using a laptop or smartphone is a cyborg. Even a construction worker using a jackhammer is more of a cyborg than someone playing around with some software. The very definition of a cyborg is a technologically enhanced biological organism. For instance, someone with a robotic prosthetic arm directly attached to the nervous system might qualify as a cyborg. I remember this British fellow Kevin Warwick from the University of Reading referring to himself as the world's first cyborg. Thanks to a chip in his arm, its movements could be controlled from a computer. AI software is a digital crystal ball and certainly doesn't make you a cyborg. Even its educational usefulness may be questionable. I'm not convinced yet that these programs serve our intellectual enrichment. They certainly can and should but the reason I'm still skeptical is the obvious fact that, thanks to the internet, access to knowledge and information has never been easier, yet mankind doesn't seem smarter or better informed. Most people use the internet for the lowest form of entertainment. Even the original philosophy of the internet (the free flow of information and knowledge) is no longer respected. It has been hijacked by corporate monopolies and turned into an instrument of censorship, control and surveillance.

Given your utilisation of "AI", it sounds like a glorified version of Excel or PowerPoint to me. Not to sound like a broken record but what is marketed (the emphasis should be on just that: marketed) as artificial intelligence just isn't. It's computer code or software written by humans. ChatGPT, GPT-4 and whatever they're called, are useful tools for text compilations, drawing from many different sources within a relatively short period of time and thus performing that task faster than any human could. It is convenient and faster than a human just like a pocket calculator is but the latter hardly qualifies as (artificial) intelligence, even though it can solve a complex equation within a second. If a software or any other device is doing most of the "thinking" for you, you're doing something wrong. You can never let your intellectual guard down and you shouldn't for the sake of your own mental faculties.

I hope you don't mind me being blunt with you. It's a well-meaning honesty I would express toward a friend. Like so many people, and I'm not an exception, you lack discipline and opt for convenience which always comes at the expense of your skills. I have lost almost 88 pounds between summer 2021 and spring 2022. All I did is change my diet by following a strict psychological discipline. I didn't do much sports except go on walks and ride my bicycle. I'm doing sports now, just basic jogging and gymnastics to keep in shape, not to become a bodybuilder. While we're at it, I have noticed that many people hit the gym, not because they're disciplined, but the opposite it the case. They need mental motivation and a platform for self-exhibition which begs the question whether they do it for themselves or to show off on social media. Ten years ago, I went through a similar phase of self-disciplining when I quit smoking. I simply threw my last pack of smokes away. There were no "I'm gonna smoke just 2 cigarettes per day" periods. Took me about three months to overcome the aggressions that arose from going cold turkey but I never touched a cigarette again. Maybe it's easier for people like me because I tend to be persistent and stubborn when I get something into my head.

On the other hand, I absolutely believe that these "AI" programs make your worklife easier and can't see anything wrong with that as long as you remain the brain in the room. But proto-cyborgs? Nope. You might as well say that anyone using a laptop or smartphone is a cyborg. Even a construction worker using a jackhammer is more of a cyborg than someone playing around with some software. The very definition of a cyborg is a technologically enhanced biological organism. For instance, someone with a robotic prosthetic arm directly attached to the nervous system might qualify as a cyborg. I remember this British fellow Kevin Warwick from the University of Reading referring to himself as the world's first cyborg. Thanks to a chip in his arm, its movements could be controlled from a computer. AI software is a digital crystal ball and certainly doesn't make you a cyborg. Even its educational usefulness may be questionable. I'm not convinced yet that these programs serve our intellectual enrichment. They certainly can and should but the reason I'm still skeptical is the obvious fact that, thanks to the internet, access to knowledge and information has never been easier, yet mankind doesn't seem smarter or better informed. Most people use the internet for the lowest form of entertainment. Even the original philosophy of the internet (the free flow of information and knowledge) is no longer respected. It has been hijacked by corporate monopolies and turned into an instrument of censorship, control and surveillance.
First of all, congratulations on losing almost 88 lbs! It sounds like you do a lot of cardio work out, given the jogging, and gymnastics. As for me, I had completed a 2 month cardio/HIIT regimen prior to lifting, losing an initial 15 lbs. This was also partially guided by AI. When I started the strength training with dumb bell, I notice weight gain, I went from 215 to 218, and eventually dropped it down whistle increasing body fat percentage and increasing muscle mass. I want to reach 185-190 lb. because that is considered to be a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) weight for my height, 6'2.

S5N8lY3.png

As for muscle mass percentage, I really only endeavor to achieve between 40-45%. That is the range of which is optimal for MMA fighters, because it is a perfect balance between strength and agility. Beyond that you compromise agility, flexibility and endurance for strength. But if people want to pursue that, more power to them. That might be more suited to a particular fighting style. I think of Mike Tyson, who would deliver overwhelming strength, and defeated many people immediately. He had a very high muscle mass percentage, just by looking at him. However, he was known to get tired as matches progressed into the distance. Thus, he had to be as finishing as possible. Which some people say is optimal for combat situations. Nevertheless, I am no fighter or plan to be, nor desire to inflict harm on people, I am just modeling my body type on these athletes.

As for AI being AI or not, it doesn't really matter to me, because I feel that it has been a helpful tool. Indeed, much like a calculator, because I am in the executive position of these operations. I was playing with suno.com and created a lot of cool and surprisingly great high quality production songs. I wrote lyrics, picked a style, and the AI impressively makes 2 songs that sound high quality. I thought to myself, this must be essentially what it is like to be a music producer/writer. You can even auto generate they lyrics based on a topic, but I find that less fun.

I saw a debate on tv between on the subject of if AI is actually smart. A proponent argued that basically what is reasoning, other than pattern recognition, and making a choice based on that pattern. Again, LLM if they are AI or not, I think are a stepping stone to AGI, which will make it more advanced, and closer to filling more criteria to what is true AI.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jovialis. Trust me, it was not easy. I went on a hardcore diet and a lot of fasting was involved. Not the smartest way to lose weight because it takes a toll on your metabolism. I had to be very careful with the exercising in the beginning because I was afraid that might cause harm to my knees, so I had to lose enough weight before I could get physically active. I used to weigh 110 kg and went down to 70 kg by the summer of 2022. Now I stand at about 75 kg which is enough to keep some decent muscle mass. I'm 5'11'', so I'm not a tall guy like you but it's easier for shorter people to build up muscles. Think of JCVD and Dolph Lundgren. Van Damme went so far with the bodybuilding, it became an obstacle for his karate agility. He took ballet lessons to improve his agility.

After I quit smoking in 2014, I began to gain weight rapidly without noticing. I have been battling severe depression for a couple of years and didn't care what I looked like or if I was going to stay alive at all. It was a long a long and gradual process of recovery. It's great that you're taking care of yourself. I guess you're still young.

I gotta tell you, I'm particularly touchy when it comes to utilising AI in music. Are you familiar with Rick Beato? He talks about the dangers that AI poses to artistic creativity and even the survival of musicians.

Rick Beato is an industry veteran and he has made several videos talking about the production process.

most modern humans are proto cyborgs already, in theory cyborg is a man functioning with a help of machine, and that machine is smartphone.
You have navigation, access to most data trough internet on your fingertip, thats basically cyborg, only difference we wear it as accessory not implanting it into our flesh

Just imagine 30 years ago that would be out of this world, people bought paper maps to find their way around, needed to ask locals where the hotel, restaurant, hospital is, didnt have stuff such as translators that work on voice... etc

Last edited:
most modern humans are proto cyborgs already, in theory cyborg is a man functioning with a help of machine, and that machine is smartphone.
You have navigation, access to most data trough internet on your fingertip, thats basically cyborg, only difference we wear it as accessory not implanting it into our flesh

Just imagine 30 years ago that would be out of this world, people bought paper maps to find their way around, needed to ask locals where the hotel, restaurant, hospital is, didnt have stuff such as translators that work on voice... etc

In a strict sense, a cyborg is a human (or any organism) whose body hosts technological components. We're talking about chip implants, prostheses, pacemakers, cochlear implants. Your smartphone is not in your head. Arguing like that, you might as well claim that the first humans to use stone tools were cyborgs. What you're describing is a user/consumer. It's certainly true that the use of external tools crucially influenced the development of the human brain and body, not to mention that it helped us greatly transform nature to our advantage (and sometimes disadvantage). So, man's technological evolution has come a long way and it was only a matter of time until those external tools became internal. You'll be a cyborg once you can telephone, "listen" to music or access computer databases directly from your brain via an interface or not.

In a strict sense, a cyborg is a human (or any organism) whose body hosts technological components. We're talking about chip implants, prostheses, pacemakers, cochlear implants. Your smartphone is not in your head. Arguing like that, you might as well claim that the first humans to use stone tools were cyborgs. What you're describing is a user/consumer. It's certainly true that the use of external tools crucially influenced the development of the human brain and body, not to mention that it helped us greatly transform nature to our advantage (and sometimes disadvantage). So, man's technological evolution has come a long way and it was only a matter of time until those external tools became internal. You'll be a cyborg once you can telephone, "listen" to music or access computer databases directly from your brain via an interface or not.

Its not just use of tools, but use of knowledge stored in machine, its a big part of being a cyborg, yeah there is a part where you have gunarm or some shit like that, but everything else is pretty much we get from smartphone, the only difference is that its not implanted, but functionally we all carry smartphones all the time, and have wast amount of machine utility at our fingertips.
Also its much more advanced to have it as an accessory, because you can easily update, imagine paint being stuck with couple of gens back tech, and you need a surgery for update or repairs. This is because the idea of cyborgs was "back then" where tech progression was much slower

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 207 times.

Back